Monday, October 29, 2007

Too Many Expensive Decisions --- All At Once.

Matt-the-contractor came by and we mapped out a plan, hoping he will start in the next 10 days. That means I need to make a million or more very expensive decisions, like practically…now.

Slide One: I tried to prime a section of the beams in the kitchen. I had primer in the garage but it wasn’t working out so well. I went out and bought a new gallon of Benjmain Moore’s latex primer. After four coats of primer, it was only marginally better. I’m thinking that maybe I need to use some really harsh chemical cleaner to get the kitchen grease off of the wood so that the primer can adhere. I don’t want to sand. I probably need to sand. I don’t want to sand. Grrrr. I don’t have a pic of the 4th layer of primer – believe the bottom-most pic is 2 layers. All that said, I agree that the beams/kitchen will look much bigger/better once those beams are painted “into” the ceiling.

Upstate Joe had an amazing surprise for me. He attacked the dreaded “dirt pile”. It’s gone! Hallelujah! This was the best surprise all weekend.




Slide Two: I started to rip up more of the kitchen flooring with Joe’s help. It was pouring rain, nothing better to do, right? I need to see what the floor-floor looks like to figure out if we can sand & paint it. I ripped up linoleum, then that nasty foam stuff, then plywood and then found MORE boards. I think there might be another “floor” under the “floor boards” but can’t tell. I was afraid to rip up any deeper and make a mess of “the floor-floor” so I’ll have to wait for Matt-The-Contractor. That kitchen floor is like the rings of a shitty old tree.



Slide Three: There’s the hated crank out window and next to it, possibly the “new window” from Marvin. I’m also looking at Pella and Peachtree. I don’t really understand what the difference (other than price) is in these brands. Got an opinion? I should be able to fit 2 of these very easily and that will give this dark kitchen SOOO much more light. I went to GNH Lumber and they were super-nice as I showed them my crude drawings, measurements and pics on my camera. Two windows will be $552.24 (if my contractor installs). These windows are named “Integrity” I thought that was kinda funny.



Slide Four: Then I went to the dentist. No cavities. Yay!



Slide Five: Driving back from the dentist into town…dark storm clouds and yet…pretty! On Sunday morning Mom and I went to church. By that I mean she dropped me off at "my church" - the hardware store and she went to a large building with a bell and pulpit. I spent an hour or more at Ace Hardware. I love my little town hardware store. They are so friendly and helpful and they don’t act pompous & intimidating like the folks at the big box hardware stores. Ace had Peachtree windows. I’ve never heard of them, but they looked real nice. Since it was Sunday, the window guy wasn’t in – so I have no prices. Gutter guard. Ever used this? It looks so cool and my gutters fill up with leaves & debris so fast. It’s like a big hard sponge that lets water pass through. Steel nipples? Nuff said.




Slide Six: For my birthday, Ace sent me a $5 gift card. Wasn’t that sweet? I bought a new toilet bowl lever. What are the odds that TWO of the THREE toilets in my life require this exact item? Perhaps we’re hard flushers? Hmmm.




Slide Seven: We went to Lowes and Home Depot to look at countertops. Since this is a big, expensive, color-palette decision – it is quite stressful. And, it was. It’s probably a task best done – solo. I’ll leave it at that. I kinda like this “basil” countertop from LG but I’m too susceptible to BIG displays. I need to see things in big scale, I can’t make a decision based on a 2 inch chip. Why don’t they have a system to print color copies of the countertops so that you can bring them home and get a better idea? They do that with pianos. Makes sense to me. I also like the Santa Cecilia (patron Saint of music and arts?) granite but the price made my stomach curdle.



When I got back to the Fiance on Sunday evening he had so much great fun planned. We carved a pumpkin, baked the seeds, made chocolate chip cookies and watched the weird polygamy special on Oprah. Thank you Fiance and Tivo.

11 comments:

katy said...

we've been looking at HD/Lowes for a new counter top, and i'm struggling with the whole 2" sample thing too... i was talking to one of the salesladies, and she told me that if i called the 1800 number for the company, they might send me a bigger sample at home of the counter tops i can't decide between. i haven't done this yet as i know we're not anywhere near ready to order the new counter tops, because there's still a whole section of cabinets to be built... but it's worth a try, the worst that could happen is a 'no'.

iloveupstate.com said...

Katy - Yeah, the lady at Lowes told me the same thing. I wish they'd just email you a jpeg though, I could maybe multiply that into a big print out. I'd take pics at the store but I keep getting a flash back and I'm a crappy photographer! LOL

iloveupstate.com said...

OK, screw the Peachtree brand windows. Per a family member that just built a house...their screens blow out in the wind and some of her items were delivered mangled and the customer service has been non-existent.

Anonymous said...

We're very happy with our Pella windows and they've saved us a fortune on heating.

Aunt Jemima (pronounced 'ant') said...

We looked at the gutter foam stuff a few years ago, but with all the leaves and twigs it is hard to imagine things not getting stuck in it. It was also $12/sq.ft. from the company that gave us an estimate...How much is it at Ace??

Wow, that is a really sparsely decorated dentist office...not even any 'teeth' posters on the wall.

Aunt Jemima said...

I meant to say $12/linear foot.

iloveupstate.com said...

Debbie - You know I have to call you Aunt (as in ONT) Jemima. I can't say "Ant". I'm from Massachusetts, yanno.

I didn't look at the pricing on the gutter stuff. Maybe I'll buy a few yards of it and see how it does...

Aunt Jemima said...

That sounds so stuffy...LOL

At the time we checked on the gutter stuff they only sold it through over-priced distributors in our area. It has been a few years so I will check our local Ace too. Our other gutter toppers still need to be cleaned at least once a year and DH isn't too fond of ladders.

Money and Investing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ideally you should get the grease off the beams. Another option is to use White Shellac.

White Shellac is what they use after a fire to cover up the soot smell. Or to cover walls that have been infused with cigarette smoke.

Basically it is a primer, just with a shellac base instead of a latex base.

Anonymous said...

Oil Based KILLZ Primer covers EVERYTHING. Seriously. One coat. I, too, have had the remodel of a house with zero ninety degree corners, kludged everything, and half an inch of soaked-in grease on multiple surfaces. Scrub it once with TSP, let it dry, and slap on the oil based Killz. Yes, it's more of a pain, but man, how painful is it to prime 4+ coats and still have bleedthrough?